Thursday, October 8, 2015

Cleaning Your Sterling Silver Jewelry Naturally

So I'm posed with this problem quite frequently since I sell lots of sterling silver jewelry... "How do I clean my tarnished jewelry???" As a go to, I typically recommend a polishing cloth and some elbow grease or sometimes Tarn-X but I feel like the chemicals could damage the sterling, so I came across some info online about cleaning with salt and aluminum. It creates a chemical reaction known as 'ion exchange' and naturally cleans silver quickly.

So all you need is

  • small ramekin,
  • 2 teaspoons of salt (any kind should work but I used kosher salt). 
  • 1/4 cup water 
Fill ramekin with either boiling water or add water and microwave (60-90 seconds) If using the microwave option wait to add foil and jewelry. Once water is hot, add foil and salt to ramekin, then place jewelry on top of foil. Be sure all parts of the jewelry touch the foil to be the most effective. Soak for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Then remove with a pair of tongs or a fork. Rinse and dry with a soft cloth. Tada! Repeat if necessary.


To keep your silver looking new, wear it often to naturally polish it. When you're not wearing it, store in a dark, cool, dry place. Preferably away from your bathroom. You can also store it in a zip top bag to help slow oxidation.

I do offer polish pads upon request for items purchased from my shop that don't come clean with this method. Be sure to contact me through my site or Etsy. Thank you!

**Please note that if the item has been purposely blackened this technique will not work**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cleaning Your Sterling Silver Jewelry Naturally

So I'm posed with this problem quite frequently since I sell lots of sterling silver jewelry... "How do I clean my tarnished jewelr...