Thursday, August 4, 2011

For the Love of Milk Glass

I remember as a kid my parents having a huge collection of depression glass of all colors shapes and sizes. They still have some but have scaled down their collection quite a bit since I was young. As I got older I found my own love for depression glass... especially milk glass. I love the white lace pieces with it's quiet simplicity, but it's so hard to find now a days intact. The lace is usually so delicate that being stacked in a thrift store or antique shop shortens it's life and is rarely found without cracks or chips in them. Luckily I've finally found 3 great pieces over the last 6 months to start my collection (pictured below). All found in quaint little antique shops for next to nothing. My favorite of the 3 pieces is the one in front I found on mother's day this year, it's got that very thin lace trim that I just adore.

I love looking at pieces online, but will rarely ever purchase anything over the computer because I can't pick up and hold, turn over, or feel it, and my favorite part of finding new pieces is the hunt. Some of my next pieces I'd like to find include hobnail and ruffled edged styles.

A bit of history:

First made in Venice in the 1500's, colors included white, black, brown, blue, yellow and pink. In the 1800's glass makers called milky white opaque glass "opal glass". The white color is achieved through adding an opacifer, e.g. tin oxide or bone ash. Only recently has the name milk glass become widely used.

Milk glass was highly popular during the fin de siecle and was made into decorative vases, dinnerware, costume jewelry and lamps. Pieces that were made for the wealthy during the Gilded Age are known for their delicacy and beauty in color and design, while Depression glass pieces made during 1930-1940 are less extravagant.

Some of the top milk glass manufacturer's
  • Westmoreland Glass Company
  • Fostoria Glass Company
  • Fenton Glass Company
  • Imperial Glass Company
  • Kanawha Glass Co
  • Mosser Glass
So what about you? Do you collect anything that's difficult to find in good condition? Or that may be scarce in local antique stores.

Here's a photo from a blog called "High Street Market" that did a blog about milk glass also.
http://highstreetmarket.blogspot.com/2009/03/milk-glass.html
Someday, I would love to have a collection like this, so many different shapes and styles and so beautifully displayed. I'm in love. =)

10 comments:

  1. I love it too! I have been collecting the Jadeite glass for awhile now...usually Fire King pieces. It's that really minty green. But I might have to keep my eye out for some of this too, it's really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very informative, thanks :-)
    Dianne
    Yonks

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom collected milk glass dishes for years. When they celebrated their 50th anniversary, my sisters and I had a party for them. I used her milk glass pieces to hold the silk flower arrangements for the party. It was lovely, and though she had Alzheimers, mom was able to recognize her dishes. Many of the guests commented on or talked to her about the arrangements and her dishes, so they served as great conversation pieces as well. These are all beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love vintage glassware! Although I don't have any milk glass currently, I used to have a few pieces and always get excited if I run across something at an estate sale or something.

    I'm hosting an etsy shop link at my blog every Friday... would love to see you link up an item from your shop! http://artsynina.blogspot.com/2011/08/shop-talk-etsy-shop-link-parties.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love jadeite also, green is one of my favorite colors. :)

    @Fleur de Lis- That's a beautiful story about your mother and her milk glass, amazing. Thanks for sharing. :)

    @ArtsyNina, I will pop by today and check it out. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. these pieces are beautiful! Coming over from the Homefront Team!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love, love, LOVE milk glass. My bud vase collection is borderline crazy. I need to start selling some off soon...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by Liz and Robin. I appreciate new followers especially when they comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beautiful. I collected green depression glass for the tables at my wedding. The milk glass seems to draw a similar appreciation. Thanks for posting your link on our page. I look forward to being connected to more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome 3 pieces for your collection!
    Thank you for the information on milk glass. :)

    So glad I found your blog through the Etsy Blog Team! I am your newest follower! ♥
    Looking forward to your upcoming posts!

    I welcome you to check out my art blog, too!
    Best,
    Mary C. Nasser
    http://www.marycnasser.com/blog.html

    ReplyDelete

Cleaning Your Sterling Silver Jewelry Naturally

So I'm posed with this problem quite frequently since I sell lots of sterling silver jewelry... "How do I clean my tarnished jewelr...